Trinity Centre for Bioengineering,
Michael received the BE degree in Electrical Engineering from University College Dublin, Ireland in 2010 and the MSc degree in Bioengineering from UCD in 2011. His thesis was conducted under the supervision of Dr Edmund Lalor at Trinity College Dublin and focused on nonlinear modelling of the human auditory and visual system. He is currently studying for a PhD under Dr Lalor's supervision at TCD where he is investigating the effects of visual input on the representation of speech in human cortex. Michael has also completed courses in Basic Medical Science at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and the Postgraduate Certificate in Statistics at TCD. In May 2013, he was awarded an EU scholarship to participate in the 2013 Neuromorphic Cognition Engineering Workshop in Telluride, Colorado.
- Multisensory integration.
- Auditory/visual speech processing.
- Decoding sensory information from EEG.
- System identification and machine learning.
- EU-CSNII Fellowship (May 2013). This scholarship to the 2013 Neuromorphic Cognition Engineering Workshop in Telluride, Colorado was awarded by the European Commission to the top 8 EU applicants.
- Crosse MJ, Butler JS, Lalor EC (2015). Congruent visual speech enhances cortical entrainment to continuous auditory speech in noise-free conditions. Journal of Neuroscience, 35(42):14195–204. PubMed
- Sheedy CM, Power AJ, Reilly RB, Crosse MJ, Loughnane GM, Lalor EC (2014). Endogenous auditory frequency-based attention modulates electroencephalogram-based measures of obligatory sensory activity in humans. NeuroReport, 25(4):219–225. PubMed
- Crosse MJ, ElShafei HA, Foxe JJ, Lalor EC (2015). Investigating the temporal dynamics of auditory cortical activation to silent lipreading. 7th International IEEE/EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering, 308–311. IEEE Explore
- Crosse MJ, O'Sullivan JA, Power AJ, Lalor EC (2013). The effects of attention and visual input on the representation of natural speech in EEG. 35th Annual International Conference of the IEEE/EMBS, 2800–2803. PubMed
- Monteiro AC, de Cheveign A, Mehta A, Andreou A, Pasciaroni A, Franco JAG, Galbraith B, Denk C, Neil D, Emmanouilidou D, Shi B, Erdogmus D, Cohen G, O'Sullivan JA, Tapson J, Ozdas M, Khosrowshahi A, Krishnan L, Amiri M, Crosse MJ, Contreras-Vidal JLP, Liu Q, Benosman RB, Davies S, Liu SC, Chandrapala T, Horiuchi T, Delbruck T, Constable W, Lalor EC, Shinn-Cunningham BG, Slaney M, Shamma SA (2013). Decoding perceived, attended, imagined acoustic events and human-robot interfaces. 20th Telluride Neuromorphic Cognition Engineering Workshop. Final Report